Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Why do startups still use java? Part 2

In my last blog entry I had asked the question "Why do startups use Java (vs more powerful languages - Clojure, Scala etc - on the JVM, or other languages like Haskell or Erlang)?"

I had the opportunity to talk to a couple of ex-colleagues who are working on their startup (which, I predict will be *astoundingly* successful - these are very intelligent, well funded, capable -even the"business" guys is a good programmer - guys with some cool software) and I asked them this question and the answer was " (1) we find it hard enough to get good programmers. Adding a requirement for an unusual language will narrow the field (2) we don't have the time to train people. People should come on board ready to code. Unusual languages make this more difficult".

Both are thoughtful responses. I have some thoughts on these, but they will have to wait for another blog entry. Just throwing it out here for anyone interested.


Continued in Part 3 , Part 4

No comments:

Post a Comment