Saturday, June 27, 2009

Turning Down Projects (in a recession) Part 2

One thing I love about blogging is how it enables me to think clearly. I wrote about how I turned down a couple of "good" projects in my last blog entry and gave some reasons. But something kept nagging at me as to why I turned down these projects.

I just realized that I turn down some projects because I don't want to be a part (*any* part, no matter how well compensated) of a mediocre project any longer. (I've had my share of mediocre projects, especially during my "outsourced enterprise" days. Been there, done that got the t-shirt -nutshell version -> life is not worth living when you spend 8+ hours a day on a sucky project).

Now I've decided to work *only* with good people on good projects, producing excellent code that provides great "customer value".

Funnily enough, I seem to have made the decision and committed to it before I was consciously aware of doing so.

Once upon a time a friend asked me to come work at his company(which will remain un named). Just as I began to turn it over in my mind, I heard myself say *very vehemently* " I'll beg on the streets before I work for [company]".

I was the one most surprised. But ...it felt right. I *will* become a beggar rather than work for that company.

And now I will never ever work on a project/company/team that doesn't make excellence a goal and way of life.

Life is too short to be mediocre. *Trying* for excellence and failing is better than compromising "successfully" with mediocrity.

Ok, end epiphany. Back to regular programming!

No comments:

Post a Comment